Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Can't Believe He Ate The Whole Thing


So.... was watching one of the new shows on Food Network, "5 Ingredient Fix", and there was an interesting recipe for Dry Rubbed BBQ Chicken on recently. I'm still on the fence about this show.... I want to find the host kind of annoying, but I can't. And I really wish it wasn't all tied to a "5 ingredient" idea, since it seems like a lot of the recipes would be even better if they included a couple more things.


But anyway... the chicken brine interested me. So I wanted to try it. And I did.


Now... it's not a secret that the husband unit really, really doesn't like chicken. And I understand that, since my very dear mother in law (who can roast a turkey like nobody's business) used to think that boiled chicken was something perfectly acceptable to serve for dinner. I never understood how the hubby could hate chicken until the time I went over to his folk's house right after work back when we were dating (he was living at home, and I worked about five minutes away) and his mom actually made boiled chicken for dinner. And it was pretty gross. I think we ended up going to Wendy's at like 8 PM.


But, at least I understand why the hubby can groan when the words "dinner" and "chicken" are used together. So I'm always looking for ways to try and make chicken tasty. And brines usually do that.


I couldn't do the peach/onion relish that was done on the show, since my peaches went modly on me. D'oh.


But the chicken was faaaaaabulous. And I could not believe it when my husband actually ate the entire chicken breast. That never happens.


And yes, that is "blue box" mac & cheese on the side. Usually when I do chicken, he'll pick at the chicken and load up on the mac & cheese. If I'd have known he'd like the chicken that much, I would have made mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Brined chicken or turkey is wonderful. The meat is so juicy and it lasts longer in the fridge