Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy... Day after Memorial Day???

Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend... it was exciting around here - I actually got a new cell phone!  Yay!

I've badly needed one for about the last six months since my phone (a flip phone) started placing random calls while it was CLOSED and it was just unable to hold a charge for more than 24 hours.  Not very helpful features.

And I'm trying really hard to ignore the fact that my brother-in-law called the model of phone the "old people phone" when we were looking at phones.  Hey... I like big buttons.  Sue me.

The weekend was filled with pizza, burgers and sausages.  Oh, and plenty of playing with my phone, since there is so much more to play with.  I can't wait until later this week when my MicroSD card and data cable for the phone arrive.   I'm such a tenchno geek.

Today it was back to the real world, which meant a release deadline at work (when isn't there one?) and cooking dinner.

And since my ulta-lazy-try-to-ease-back-in-non-sloth-mode plan was chicken sandwiches for dinner... I was unhappy to find out the hubby had a chicken sandwich for lunch. 

Bring on a recipe I was planning on trying later in the week... Sweet & Sour Pork with Pineapple.

















You slice a pork tenderloin in 1/4 inch slices, cook for a minute and a half per side. 

I had some leftover cooked onions and peppers from brats on the grill yesterday, so I used those.  The original recipe calls for red pepper.  That would be nice too.

The key is the sauce... closest to take-out I've ever had.

6 T rice vinegar
6 T pineapple juice (use the reserved liquid from a can of pineapple chunks)
6 T sugar
3 T ketchup
3 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T grated fresh ginger (I used grated whole dried ginger since I forgot to buy ginger at the store)

Put the pork in the pan, dump in the sauce, cook until thick.

Delish.

Even if the hubby - who ALWAYS orders the battered version of sweet & sour pork - turns up his nose and goes "ewww" just because it looks like stir fry.

No comments: