Monday, March 28, 2011

The things you miss... (and why I love my rice cooker even more)

"Blue box" mac and cheese.

I know.

I know.

It's so not gourmet... it's trash.... but some days, when you have thunk all you can at work and you have to come home and still come up with something for dinner, it is comforting to know that if you bring a pot of water to boil, about 9 minutes later (after mixing it up) you'll have food.

And I think not only is the pasta a no-no when you need to avoid wheat... they might also put it in the seasoning packet.

I was making some for the hubby, and I wanted to make myself some kind of cheesy rice to try and make myself happy.

I've tried a couple of cheesy rice things off the 'net.... cook your rice and add a couple of slices of processed cheese... and they have not been good.

So I thought.  To make a good homemade mac & cheese (which I actually prefer over the boxed stuff) you cook your pasta, make a white sauce, add cheese to the white sauce and then mix it all.


But.... wait a sec.



I can use my rice cooker to make it's OWN starchy white sauce.

One cup plus 2 tablespoons of sushi rice (it was the only short grain rice I had on hand) plus three cups of chicken stock went into my rice cooker.




And after about 25 minutes you get a lovely risotto (seriously... the price of a rice cooker is worth it for a no-fuss risotto alone....)


Dumped some shredded cheddar and some grated parm.....



And OMG... what a reward.....



Lovely rice.  Cheesy goodness.  Unlike the boxed stuff... it was CHEESE.  And some nice starchy rice.  And just awesomeness. 

I will happily buy another 6-pack of the boxed blue stuff so I can make that for the hubby, and have this working its magic on the countertop for my enjoyment alone.  Blue Box is one of his favorite things.  I am more than happy to not share my rice with his.


2 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

I am making this tomorrow. Risotto in my rice cooker? WITH CHEESE?! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Unknown said...

I am SO glad I bought a rice cooker now that I know it can do risotto. You just throw everything in there with ALL the liquid, and cook it until it's done to your happiness. There is enough liquid and it's a small enough space where the rice moves thru the liquid like you're stirring it when you're doing nothing... it's just awesomeness.

I've even been so bold to throw in some butter and shallot and turn on the heat to let that start to cook before adding the rice, then also toasted the rice in there.