Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dough Day! Pierogies and No-Knead Bread

Before I get down and dirty with dough.... some lunch is needed...

I snipped some dried mango into some pico de gallo and let that come together....


Then I chopped up some mahi mahi that I got (marinated in some lime juice and Mexican-appropriate spices).....



Slap the fish and some of the salsa into warmed tortillas, top with some guac and a little queso fresco....



Very good.

While I was doing that, I had potatoes baking in the oven, and for pierogie filling numero uno, I started by running those though the ricer...


Add some farmer's cheese, cooked onions, and paprika....



The paprika is actually a pretty good way for judging when you get an "even" mixture.


On to the dough!!

Dry stuff... flour and salt... ready to roll...


I added two egg yolks and one whole egg to that, and a couple tablespoons of butter, and let it whril before I started with the water. My dough ended up kinda sticky.


Rolled it out as thin as I could get it, brought out my largest biscuit cutter and made some rounds...


Filling on those rounds....



Sealed up (ok, out of the first batch, three were horribly sealed and totally fell apart in the water. I improved my stats on the next two batches).


Those went into boiling water for 10 minutes. I have to say... I was mildly impressed with my mad skillz by the time the last batch went into the water. The purpose of making these was kinda of a "test run" to make sure I had a recipe that worked, and they didn't end up being like lead bombs.

Once I was done, I rinsed them in cold water and stashed them in the fridge so I could fry them up for dinner.

On to filling number two.... a mushroom filling.... started with onions, though...



I actually paid the big bucks for some real Polish dried mushrooms, which required a 3 HOUR soaking time, so these were not going to happen as real, finished pierogies with my others. After soaking the mushrooms, I gave them a whril in my mini food processor. All my cutting boards and knives were still in the dishwasher.


Now... the directions I was using said to add the non-gunky part of the soaking liquid back to the pan and let it all boil down. Methinks I soaked them in too much liquid, because this took awhile to boil down....


Also, according to directions.... I'm supposed to run that mixture though a grinder (not a problem, I actually have the Kitchen Aid attachment) with a stale kieser roll. I do not have a stale role on hand. I might remember to buy one while I am out tomorrow, or I might just use a coupla slices of white bread. After that, an egg gets mixed in, and that is Filling Number Two.

How about some No-Knead Bread to go with dinner???

The dough... I started it last night....



Plopped that into my new Corningware stonewear. Yes, I was at Kolh's yesterday, and I bought a piece of equipment that I intend to devote mostly to No-Knead bread. My Le Creuset is a little too wide for what I'd like out of a loaf of bread (a little height). I was a little worried since the original recipe calls for a 5+ quart container capacity, but this 3.5 quart model did just fine.

Hey... it looks less like a dough turd this time!!



And yet again, I am amazed.... I have finally learned how to make good bread....




Rest of dinner??

The pierogies, fried up a little bit....


And an Herb-Rubed Sirloin Steak....




I did also make the pepper relish, but I used green peppers (had them on hand) and totally forgot to take pictures of the process.

The bread... fantastic, again. I am truely awed by this process.

The steak.... meh. I could take it or leave it.

The pierogie... the hubby had a bite and I did the usual cautionary "wave hand in front of his eyes to make sure he hasn't gone blind from eating something I have tried to make" and he just said "Yeah... that tastes like a pierogie!"

I thought the dough might be too thick... he said it was fine. WHEW. So, it looks like Friday is going to spent in a flour-covered frenzy while I make several batches of dough and fill and boil them, and I can fry them up on Sunday. Saturday will be spent on appetizers (was thinking of bacon-wrapped dates and cheese puffs, but I might be not doing the cheese puffs, we'll see) and desert stuff (carrot cupcakes and a crepe cake).

No comments: