Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A quick recap of Monday and Tuesday's cooking....

Monday night was Tuna-Noodle Casserole. Hey... that long away from the kitchen, it's best to start with something easy.






The worst thing about cooking post-vacation is knowing that there are no longer magical elves that will come in and happily clean up your mess when you leave ten bunks on a table and leave the room for awhile....



Drat... is it still there???


I started some veal stock on Wednesday. I'm out, I need more. I realized this while we were at Guy Savoy on Saturday.




Made myself a nice little "from the deli counter" lunch of some serrano ham, seafood salad and some chunks o'parm with some balsamic vinegar.



On to dinner... I knew I had ground beef to use and I thought the hubby took the truck, so I was trying to use up what I had in the house. Little did I know until he called when I was well into prep... he didn't take the truck. Oh well.

A sort of "mexican stromboli" is what I was aiming for. Started with a filling of ground beef, onions, garlic, and some red peppers and jalepenos and canned tomatoes...




Took some pizza dough out of the freezer and let that defrost...


I was brimming with pride when I actually managed to roll it into the correct shape. It doesn't look like Texas at all!



Top with a mexican cheese blend, and some queso fresco since I had some to use up...


Topped with the meat mixture....



Now the hard part. Rolling it. Deep breaths, woooooooo.

Holy crap... it worked???



Surely, I will mangle it trying to get it onto the baking sheet....


Wait, I did that right too??

I was actually able to squeeze "Veal 1" and "Veal 2" into a single day. I was so impressed with myself.


Time to take the stromboli out of the oven.... wooo... cheese slick! Usually a sign of done-ness.



Or not. Total FAIL. The thing was totally raw in the middle... nothing that could have been solved by a few extra minutes in the oven.

Good thing I picked up some frozen pizzas while shopping on Monday......

No comments: