Sunday, January 20, 2008

Can I just forget this past weekend??

Ugh. It's been an eventful weekend, and not in a good way.

Immediate family is all fine, but there has been some very unexpected drama in the extended family. I'm not going to go in to it here, but here in Casa de Hausfrau we're trying to get back to normal.

Cooking has been on the backburner, although I did pull some greenshell mussles outta the freezer for dinner tonight in an attempt to throw something together for dinner. Mussels in a garlic and wine sauce (with a little shrimp stock), some pasta for the hubby, and loads of garlic bread for me. Always tasty.

I wanted to do a pork tenderloin tonight, but due to the fact I had too many adult beverages last night and didn't feel like joining the world of the living until very late morning, I didn't pull the tenderloin out of the freezer until late and it didn't defrost. But, I did also prep a dish of mac & cheese (Alton Brown's recipe) to throw in the oven tomorrow as a side. I had a bunch of hunks of cheese (cheddar, dubliner, and some gouda) leftover from Christmas still, and I knew it wouldn't be long until they started to get moldy. It probably could be more cheddar-y, but I'm sure it will still be plenty good.

We've had bone chilling temps in Chicago this weekend, so it was my plan to not head out for the usual grocery store errands anyway, and after the family drama sucked up all of Friday night and Saturday, I know I won't feel like hitting the stores tomorrow, so... Peapod to the rescue!!! We've had the Peapod service in Chicago for quite a few years, and I have been a fan of it for a long time. Loved it when I was in college living in the city and it was actually cheaper to have stuff delivered then shop at the little local (overpriced) store, and I've always loved it for busy weekends or times I just don't feel like braving the masses at the store.

No comments: