Sunday, January 6, 2008

If you still think you shouldn't buy shell on shrimp....

Ok, maybe not everyone wants to make shrimp stock in huge batches. I get that.

But even if you only have the shells from a pound of shrimp, you can use them with a lot less fuss than shrimp stock.

Shrimp butter.

Tonight was Shrimp Scampi for dinner. In an effort to NOT load up my freezer again with shrimp shells, I used the shells to make a shrimp butter, which was used to cook the shrimp and become the sauce for the pasta.

Just melt some butter in a small pot, throw in the shells and cook them until they're pink. Then put the shells and butter in a blender or small food processor, and then strain it. You'll be the proud owner of a lovely, rosey, flavorful shrimp butter. Good luck not spreading it all on crackers and eating it before you need it.

Cook the shrimp in the shrimp butter, remove them when they're done. Throw a fist full of garlic confit (it's milder than raw garlic) in the pan for a couple seconds, then add shrimp stock. Let that cook down a little, then toss with cooked pasta and the shrimp. Yum.

I still have to deal with the duck stock, which I'd like to clarify. I might do that tomorrow, since my big pot is dirty (must remember to ask husband AGAIN for a big Le Cruset for my birthday). I'll do that during the week, no biggie.

Now, if you will excuse me, I picked up a copy of Volume 2 of Mastering the Art of French Cooking for five bucks at Half Price books, and I think it's time to do some reading.....

No comments: