Saturday, August 30, 2008

Veal Stock - Day Three


Thank you, lovely veal bones and veggies, for giving up your bounty for my stock.

I actually did do this step on Wednesday. and I wish I could say my lateness in talking about it was because I was doing something worthwhile like documenting the cure for cancer, figuring out where blue bathroom fuzz really comes from, or finding the Land of Lost Socks. In reality, I was just vegging out playing with my video poker and blackjack tutors. I've decided I really just don't have luck with video poker. The hubby jumped on and played a little - it's a teaching program, WinPoker, and it warns you if you're not making the right move and allows you to correct it and blah blah blah. When I'm using it, playing by all the rules, it's a slow bleed of money. The hubby jumps on, and he's suddenly getting all the great draws and up several hundred credits. It's just not fair. I think I'm going to be having another one of those trips where everyone who is sitting next to me hits a royal flush while I get nothing.

Back to the stock....

The second stock, or Remouillage for you fancy-pants types, was pretty much like the first day of actual stock making. Dump things in, sloooooooowly bring to a simmer, and then simmer away for a few hours. Not a lot of work for the cook to do.

The most surprising thing was that the bones at the end of the process still seemed like they might have had more to give. I've cooked bones in stocks before where they've been to the point of being crumbly at the end, and these bones still kept their structure. But, in any case, I deposited them into the trash because after two days, I just didn't want to deal with them again.

No comments: