Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wow.... this doesn't suck!

It's sad when the above is about the highest praise you'll hear for a chicken dish in your household.

It's even sadder when it's not your own cooking.

On my recent expedition to Meijer, I saw these No Name stuffed chicken breasts. They had one package that was breaded with tortilla chips and stuffed with cheese and chilies. I figured it couldn't be that bad, so I picked up a package.

That brings us to today... what I thought would be a quiet day at work turned into a rather busy day, and I was tired at the end. And I knew I didn't take out anything for dinner... so, frozen chicken breasts away, sir!!

I probably should have just slowly backed away from the kitchen.

I threw the breasts in the oven. Color me mildly impressed... they were actually chicken breasts wrapped around a filling rather than the chicken nugget-like form some of the store-bought ones take. Score. While those were cooking, I started the pasta for Macaroni Salad with Summer Tomatoes. I thought I had elbows or some other curly-tubey pasta. Nope. But I did find a half-package of Orecchiette. Figured that would work. Dumped the pasta in the boiling water, set the timer for a minute longer than the package directions.

Made the dressing, chopped the tomatoes, combined them, and proceeded to snack on the tomatoes in the dressing. Yummy. I was hopeful.

When the timer went off I killed the heat on the pasta and let it sit for a minute, then drained it. Then dumped it right into the bowl with the dressing and tomatoes. Stirred it, and took a taste. Downright crunchy pasta.

Sigh.

I quickly threw two potatoes in the microwave so I'd have something to serve with the chicken breasts.

But I didn't want to waste the pasta dish, so I tossed it all back into the pot I used to boil the pasta, added about a third of a cup of water, and cooked it for ANOTHER TEN MINUTES until the pasta was actually done.

Totally not what the dish was supposed to be, but not a "straight to the garbage" disaster. It's in the fridge now. I might have some for lunch on Saturday. Or go buy some fresh mozzarella and mix it in and take it for lunch next week.

But the chicken breasts were actually good. The hubby took one bite of his and happily pronounced that It Did Not Suck. High praise, indeed, from him when it comes to chicken.

Very happy it's Thursday. Just have to get through tomorrow at work, and then we have a wedding to go to on Saturday. I know I won't have time for a pedicure, so I dropped the $25 I'd have spent on that on a pair of shoes that cover both toes and heels, so I won't be shamed.

No comments: