Sunday, September 2, 2007

Many things to do with onions....

Yeah. So last Thursday and Friday sucked pretty hard. We'll leave it at that.

Trying to get back to some sense of normal now.... went to the grocery store yesterday, and despite all the stupid examples of humanity that were around, I was happy they had brisket on sale, and I'd just seen the America's Test Kitchen recipe for Onion-Braised Beef Brisket before I went to the store.

Oh yeah. Currently have that in the oven, we'll eat it tomorrow.

Also, today I wanted to get the ground beef/onion base ready for chili I'll be making next Sunday. We usually start out the first NFL Sunday with chili, and end the season with chili or ribs. I have a bachelorette party thing next Saturday night, so I think I won't be in condition to start the chili from scratch on Sunday morning, so I can at least do the ground beef and onions now, and just have it all ready to dump in the crockpot on Sunday morning.

Also, I wanted to do up a batch of Caramelized Onions in the crock pot (one stick of butter + as many sliced onions as you can fit in the crockpot, cook on low for at least 12 hours until nice and caramelized). Always nice to have those on hand. As soon as we get a cool day, I might even use them for a mini batch of french onion soup.

Ok. Back to the kitchen. The onions aren't going to slice themselves......

No comments: