Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Happy Hump Day!

So, yesterday I got to work early so I could leave a little early to go down and visit my brother in the hospital.

My brother has had problems with non-cancerous polyps in his colon since he was a teenager. About five years ago, at his yearly checkup, his doctor said he could start doing screenings every 5 years rather than every year.

When he went to his screening this year, they found a group of polyps that they couldn't remove in outpatient services... he needed surgery. GREAT.

My brother lives about an hour/hour and a half south from where I live. I work about twenty minutes north from where I live. I figured it'd likely take about and hour and a half or two hours on the expressway to get there.


Didn't know they had one of the roads I planned on taking down to a SINGLE lane at one point. They mentioned the jam on the news radio, but didn't point out it was because the road was closed down to a SINGLE LANE. Had they said that, I'd have taken a different way.

It was also raining, which only added to the woes. It took about three hours to get to the hospital by my brother's house.

Also, after that long in the car, I really, really, REALLY had to use a bathroom. Figured I'd stop at the first fast food place I passed after I got off the expressway. Which, of course, meant all the fast food places were on the other side of the road. I finally pulled over at a gas station.

Visit was ok... brother was doing well but as expected (gooped up on pain meds and cranky). He's still not getting enough quality rest/sleep or eating well, so it looks like he might be there for a few more days, perhaps in to the weekend.

After I was there for about an hour he was getting sleepy, so I decided to make my exit. It seemed like a good time, the rain looked like it was stopping. Ha. Got on the road, and I could hear the updates on the news radio about how I was pretty much stuck right under a big storm cloud the entire time. At least there were no traffic jams, but it was still a slow go.

And of course... by the time I got off the road, I needed to find a bathroom again. Ended up turning in to the first fast food place I passed, an Arbys, used the facilities and got myself a healthy order of cheese sticks to have as a lovely 10pm dinner with a beer at home.

Hubby didn't get home until about 10:30... he'd gone to a book signing of one of his favorite authors. At least he stopped and got California Pizza Kitchen for dinner (and grumble... he didn't even like it!).

Tonight was fish tacos for me, and nachos for the hubby for dinner. Easy enough.

I really, really need to take inventory of my freezers and start using stuff up. I thought I had frozen pork chops, but I cannot for the life of me find them. I did, however, find at least five pounds of shrimp. Ooops. Yeah. Really need to start clearing out some stuff.

Not sure what I am going to do for dinner tomorrow. Shrimp, I guess?

No comments: