Sunday, April 20, 2008

Herbs and grass. Yay!!

No.... nothing like that.....

Gardening season. Yay!!!

Went out to do the grocery shopping today and it was just beautiful outside. I had to get my behind to the local nursery and hope they had some herbs out. I also had a blackberry bush I and some ornamental grasses I needed to plant, and I figured if I was going to do a little work outside, I might as well do a lot.

Did get to the nursery, and I was happy to see that they did have some herbs out. Yay! My creeping rosemary was the only thing that survived my attempts at bringing it inside over winter (well, actually, the lavender and sage were doing well but then just up & died on me in the past week). They actually had sweet basil, which I plant every year. Also picked up some lemon thyme, French lavender, tricolor sage, and tarragon. Tarragon, yay!! Yay!! I've missed the fresh tarragon since I went and killed it a couple months back.

I still have some herb pots to fill... need to get parsley and chives, and undecided on what else I'll plant. I want to find some kind of mint, maybe a second tarragon plant. Was also thinking of some lovage that I saw. Never even tried it, much less growing it, but that is half the fun. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything I need to fill out the garden next weekend.

Also planted some ornamental grasses. I'm hoping I just had crapola plants last year and it goes better this year. Got some maiden grass and a Dallas blue switch grass that I ordered online from Gurney this year, and the replacements for the flame grass and diamond grass that died as soon as I put them in the ground last year (both sent free from Spring Hill Nursery as replacement plants). Fingers crossed.

Also got my hair cut today. I may be a girl, but I really stink at keeping up with haircut appointments. I keep my hair pretty basic... straight and long with no bangs... and I am embarrassed to say it's been two years since I had a proper haircut even to trim off a lot of the dead ends. My sister in law took off probably two inches from the longest point... but it looks a lot better (even despite my five year old nephew looking at me and going "She looks the same, Mom!").

Drive thru beef sandwich and hot dogs (for the hubby) for dinner. Wanted to cook some chicken breasts for some lunch stuff this week, but didn't get around to it. Looks like a salami sandwich for lunch for me tomorrow.

2 comments:

That Word Guy said...

You may know this, but lavender is a perennial--if you stick it in the ground instead of a pot (and your landscapers don't hack it down).

Yeh, I had some stuff I was supposed to cook too. I was supposed to cook a chicken yesterday but it was too warm in the house to use the oven!!!

Unknown said...

I'm still easing in to perennials... I'm downright astounded that my Lamium came back, just as everyone said it would, this year. If it does well enough to start off with and I like it, I might try to re-plant later in the season.