Friday, January 30, 2009

Superbowl prep... GO!

First off... ugh. Industry I work in = NOT GOOD. I only half-jokingly blame it on Microsoft and Windows Vista being the only operating system on PCs for sale this holiday season. I fear I will soon be another faceless statistic in those jobless numbers.

But enough of that.... FOOD!!

If you have not yet started your Superbowl menu, if you're prone to do things like a Superbowl menu like I do, even though I really only watch football when the Bears are losing/on. But heck... and event that is all about things like ribs and wings and chili and potato skins and nachos... sign me up. I'll cook for that.

If you're looking for a starch to make, I'd suggest Parmesan Steak Fries. I think they were an Everyday Food (magazine) recipe from awhile back... but they are really one of those things that you don't need a recipe for. And I really don't follow the recipe anyway (surprise!).

Start out.... cut each spud - skin on - into 8 spears. I think the original recipe called for sixths... I find the eighths just cook a lot better. And I find it easier to do. Take that, Martha!!



Next up... the eggs. Recipe calls for eggs white only... but don't be one of the hatas that wastes the egg yolks. My own personal theory is that by using the egg whites one night, I am free to indulge and go for an egg yolk-rich recipe another night. I refuse to believe that eggs are bad for me.



Whip up the egg whites until they're nicely frothy. Not like you're doing serious pastry-like stuff with them, but nice and bubbly. Yeah, I was busy DOING it, so no peektures.

Egg whites, meet potato spears.....



After the toss in the eggs whites, you toss them in a serious amount of cheese. Original recipe was like 3/4 cup parm.... I use about the same amount (ok, well, more.... since I tend to double the recipe since I love these things) but I use Romano cheese... 1) We like it better, 2) I'm particular when it comes to parm and I like the expensive stuff, and I'm too cheap to use parm. I'll admit it.

Ready for the oven.....



And the important time and temp details....



While those cooked, it was on to mixing up some Blow-Your-Mind Blue Cheese Dip.

I liked the idea of the recipe, and I had light sour cream and low-fat Greek yogurt to use up. If you are not yet a convert to Greek yogurt... become one. People who say they can use yogurt like sour cream? I always though they were nuts until I tried Greek Yogurt. I can eat this stuff like sour cream.

Shallots and garlic, ready to be chopped...



Cooked those in a little olive oil, and no pictures because shallots make my eyes water about a zillion times more than any other onion or object on earth (ok... well, maybe the Sex and The City scene where Harry proposes to Charlotte... that one gets me teary every time) so no pictures of the cooking process since I couldn't see straight.

Cooked shallots and garlic (my eyes were better) going into the sour cream, mayo and yogurt mixture.....



And don't forget to add the mustard powder, like I almost did.....



Mmmm... blue cheese dip.....




And by that time, fries were ready to come out of the oven....




Oh yeah... you want to use a Silpat or baking paper for the fries. They'll stick to metal or foil or glass like a corruption charge sticks to the governer of my fine state of Illinois.

Very tasty. Not super crisp on the outside, but there is cheesy goodness to be had, plenty of fluffy potato.... they are a crowd pleaser. They'd make any football watching fan or non-fan happy.

The dip... I tried some tonight (with some Chicken Rings from White Castle... gormets, I tells ya) and the first taste was HOLY YOWSA GARLIC. A little better after that. It's still a bit chunky for my personal dipping purposes... I might go at it tomorrow with a wisk or potato masher to break up the big cheese chunks. Or not. We'll see.

So... looking forward to a fun and food-filled weekend. The next two weeks at work and the layoffs that will be coming... not so much.

No comments: