Monday, January 26, 2009

Smothered Burgers and Fries with Garlicky Mayo


Um... hello? Where'd my cooking grates go?

Oh yeah... put them in the dishwasher last night. They're enameled cast iron, and I can NEVER keep them clean. But I love them anyway.



Ahh... that's more like it. On to dinner!! So what does one cook when they have a nice, clean stove? Why... Smothered Steak Burgers and Shoestring Fries with Garlicky Dijon Mayo. Because there is nothing like making splatter-tastic burgers when you spent a half hour cleaning your stovetop the night before.

The meat mixture... plus some dried minced onion. One of my secret weapons in burgers.



Too bad there was a section of the package of ground beef that froze while it was in the back of the fridge.... guess it'll only be three burgers rather than four.



I've never done smothered burgers before... here is the mushroom mixture to go atop the burgers....



Despite all the efforts of the mushrooms, shallots, steak sauce, and some veal stock, the mushrooms didn't have much taste. I also had a problem with the recipe as written... why would you do the sauce first and then the topping, and waste all the fond in the pan? I cooked my burgers first and then did the sauce in the same pan.

Some veg... zuchinni and some cherry tomatoes....



The complete meal....



The burgers were "meh"... didn't do much for me. But the true star of the meal....



The mayo. The awesome, lovely, wonderful mayo. I'm not one for the whole "mayo with fries" thing, but this stuff actually had me thinking of maybe making it on Valentine's Day so I can lick some off the hubby. Although I'm not sure he's fond of having mayo spread over his body. He's odd that way.

The burgers... not on my to-do-again list. The actual fries... not too bad, but the mayo was just a star. I used non-course dijon, because I just used the squeeze bottles of mayo and mustard in the fridge door. I also used some white balsamic for the vinegar... don't have any sherry vinegar. But in any case... yum. I stashed the leftover mayo in the fridge and I need to think of a way to use it by the end of the week. Sooo yummy.

Sigh... time to wipe down the stove... AGAIN....

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Damn, but I hate that cleaning the cook top gig.

Marilyn said...

I notice the recipe for the burgers calls for button mushrooms. I refuse to use something that has absolutely no taste. Instead, I'd use Crimini mushrooms.