Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby, show me some thigh.....

So... tonight was some Crusty Chicken Thighs... a recipe that is also in my latest cookbook acquisition.

Interesting technique.... bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs go down in a covered pan to cook while the skin crisps up.

See?



They came out kinda, golden, but I wish they'd have gotten more brown and crispy. I think my pan might have been too low. I might just crank it next time I try them.



Yeowsa... that is a lot of fat that I drained out of the pan.....



The sauce is some mushrooms, onion, garlic, shallot, cooked in some of the chicken fat.



And you add some chives.



Mashed taters served as the starch side.



I thought I over-salted my potatoes while they were cooking, but upon serving the hubby said "Wow! What did you do to make the potatoes actually taste like mashed potatoes?"

Thanks, dear. I guess at least after 15 years I have finally learned the ONE food you like properly seasoned and not under salted.

All in all, not bad. I would have liked the skin crisper, and I really didn't get much from the sauce but it did clean out a lot of things I had in the fridge. I might try the thighs again, sans sauce and with something like mac & cheese on the side.

But it was still the bright spot of the evening. Stupid Top Chef.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Looks good. Makes me wish I could eat chicken!

And I too have learned that if you season the potatoes early on in the cooking process, then they come out much better and they don't end up tasting salty like they would if you only salted at the end.