Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beef Stroganoff

Yum.

This is one of my favorite recipes. Well, my highly modified version of it is. ;) Especially for a week like this... no grocery store trip. I usually keep a sirloin steak in the freezer just for this recipe. And to make it to my liking, you don't even need to thaw the steak. Just thwap the frozen steak in a hot pan, brown for 3 minutes on each side. While that is browing, slice your onions and mushrooms, and add those to the pan with a pinch of salt after you pull the steak out. Cook those, then add the flour and cook, then add beef broth, a dash of Worcestershire and a lot of pepper. I usually skip the tomato paste (since I'm too lazy and cheap to bother opening a can of it just to use a little bit) and the balsamic since the hubby can tell if I even opened the bottle of balsamic and waved it past the food as it cooks. Slice the steak, and after the sauce is all bubbly, kill the heat and add the sour cream and steak strips, stir to combine, and serve over noodles (although I usually use some spaetzel noodles). Yum.

I've even done a veggie version of it using slices of portobello and a veggie "beef" stock, and even my non-veggie self found it pretty tasty.

Nuttin' much else happening around here. Work is actually getting mildly busy (I am still sooooo not used to this slow, "actual time to spend on projects" pace and that disturbs me) so the days are going fast this week. Always a good thing.

No comments: