Sunday, May 25, 2008

How To Plan For a Party When You're Not Sure You're Having One

So, our Memorial Day plans include going to an afternoon show of Indiana Jones with the hubby's side of the family.

Being the one responsible for getting a meal on the table at the end of the day, I know that I've got to have something ready come dinnertime, and Memorial Day is not a day you want to rely on take out since a lot of places are going to be closed.

So, I'm doing some pulled pork in the crockpot. It's easy, it can be ready and waiting for me whenever I need it. And, if the rest of the family doesn't have a clue what they're doing for dinner, it can feed a lot of people. Also a good choice since it looks like daytime tomorrow is gonna be nuttin' but thunderstorms.

Shopping on Saturday, bought some extra sour cream. Came home and mixed up ranch dip and french onion dip using packets, and put those in the fridge. Bought extra chips at the grocery store and veggies that are dip-friendly that can also be cooked later in the week if they are uneaten. Also picked up some of the salsa the produce mart makes, and some tortilla chips. There were also some great specials on strawberries and blackberries, so I made a little fruit salad tonight.

So, if people want to come over and hang out and nosh tomorrow, there will be chips and dip, veggies and dip, I also have some cheese and crackers I can pull out, pulled pork for sandwiches and some slaw (bought the "all in one bag" stuff for that, I'll mix it up tomorrow morning), a fruit salad and some store bought chocolate chip cookies. And if no one shows, we're set for the week, and I don't have to do anything but pull some stuff out for dinner time.

Need to figure out what I'm making for a little "girls gathering" on Saturday night at my sis in law's. I already plan on the tiramisu brownies I made for Easter, toying with the idea of some shrimp spring rolls, but I know rice paper is usually not happy for long periods of time. Hmmm.

No comments: