Thursday, May 29, 2008

Don't Smell the Fish Sauce

I've been trying to explore the "outside of China" Asian cooking recently, since my Thai food connection has been cut. A lot of the recipes call for fish sauce.

Around here, it's easy to find. It's cheap. And it tends to be kinda critical to making stuff taste authentic. But it can be a little scary.

People will warn you that it's gross, smelly, blah blah blah. But for some stuff, you need it. Won't be the same without it.

First couple times I used fish sauce, I was careful not to smell it on its own. I had no problems.

And then I decided to take a whiff. I wished I hadn't.

Since then, I've spilled it AND gotten on my clothes. If you spill it, apply a good smelling cleaner immediately. If you get it on your clothes, turn off all burners NOW and go change your clothes.

It's not that scary... it's just something that you don't want to smell on its own. It's not pleasant. But in a recipe, it makes all the difference.

Do not feat the fish sauce. Just don't sniff it directly.

No comments: