Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Election Day!



I hope you did, too! Although I had to do a provisional ballot since my info apparently got lost. It was fine the last time I voted, and the hubby's info was all there, but not mine. Sigh. Gotta work on submitting my info because even if it's a done show, I want to do all I can to make sure my vote is counted.

In honor of this history-making night, I wanted to make some history of my own. A successful pizza out of my own kitchen.

I have bad, bad luck with pizza. My own dough never, ever, works, and store-bought dough sometimes gives me mixed results. But, the place I get my produce sells balls of frozen dough that are very cheap, so I wanted to give it a try again.

Peek-a-boo, dough!!




I had glamor shots of my shrimp, sauce and sausage, but I lost the picture. Bad me.

The dough in the pan with the garlic-filled sauce...




I just used a jarred sauce, and added some chopped garlic confit and herbs. Was pretty tasty, actually.




Wooo... covered in shrimp and sausage. I actually probably should have used less shrimp. But it was all good in the end.

I also thought I took an "on top of Old Smokey All Covered In Cheese" picture, but it also went poof. But I got the money shot....




Mmmm. Pizza. Tasty, tasty pizza. Looks good even through a blurry camera lens.

It wasn't bad. We actually like our crust super-thin and this was a little doughy for our tastes, but it was still good. I cooked it at 400 degrees, I probably should have upped it to at least 425 and I probably should have used the convection setting. I need to figure out how to get the super-thin, super-crispy dough.

3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

To get super thin, super crispy dough, try baking the dough first before adding the toppings.

Hurricane Mikey said...

To get super thin, super crispy dough, come out to Vegas and have dinner at The Grotto at the Golden Nugget.

Unknown said...

I think my main problem was "too much dough, dummy!" I don't work with yeast-based stuff much, and I have to remember that it IS going to get thicker as it bakes. I may give it another try, halving the amount of dough (and perhaps seeing if the hubby can still spin a round of dough like he did in college...).

Up until the loss of our local pizza place, we'd have never considered getting pizza anywhere in Vegas, pizza was usually the meal we had when we came home. And I think we were scarred by that damned late-night, need something to soak up the booze, "sausage" pizza we had at the Flamingo. That was one of the grossest things I've ever eaten. Even worse than Arby's.

But now... might be worth plugging that info into the Palm so I remember....