Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Un-baked potatoes

I am a lazy person at the end of a workday, and particularly today.

It was one of those days that just kicks your ass. As soon as I got in, someone was at my desk asking for 30 copies of the last big software release. Now, we don't distribute enough CDs to have them made outside, so we do them all in-house. We have a nifty little machine that burns the data to the CD and prints the labels. But it's not quick. And that's OK, because while the CDs are being burned/printed, we also have to print out the inserts, license agreements and covers using out laser printer, then tear apart those perforated sheets and then assemble anything.

It's not the fastest process in the world.

Oh, and each of the software releases has two CDs, so I had to wait while the machine churned out 60 CDs. Fun times.

Also got an urgent graphics request (we do the "official" layouts for all the graphics/labels/silkscreens that are applied to EVERY piece of hardware that we produce) that was at least easy.

Was working on another graphics project, and the dude who requested it is a great guy, but he's becoming notorious for not giving ALL the details at the start, so there is a lot of re-work.

Also had to go back and get some edits done as they came in to the Important Projects Where There Are Looming Deadlines But People Are Not Giving Me Reviews Or Replies To Questions. Always fun.

By the end of the day, the brain was mush. I had scallops defrosted for dinner, so I had a bit of a plan. When the hubby got home, I asked if he wanted pasta or a baked potato on the side. He said baked potato.

With the weather taking a turn for the colder lately, I've returned to being a convert of a baked potato that comes out of the actual OVEN rather than the microwave. I figured if I cranked the oven up to 400, they should be done by the time the rest of dinner was done.

They weren't.

I had also figured I'd have a few minutes of "fudge" time since the hubby went to get in a power nap.

I didn't. He was downstairs at 7pm on the dot.


I threw them in the microwave for a couple minutes. The one he picked was cooked though, mine was not. So I enjoyed my scallops and steamed broccoli sans a starch.

I just had to make some microwave popcorn to fill the void because I was starving.

Tomorrow is the hubby's birthday and we're bringing in my old Cougar to the shop to have a zillion and a half things on it fixed before the snow falls (my old Cougar is now the hubby's "winter" car) so I figure we'll just get something while we're out. Sadly, I really think he likes take-out better than my cooking a lot of the time.

But it's fine with me, because tomorrow looks to be as busy as today was, and I doubt I'd be able to boil water correctly come dinnertime.

No comments: