Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Our St. Pat's Day Dinner (and what you can do with your corned beef leftovers)

Several years back, the hubby and I were staying at a hotel and we got some room service for breakfast. One thing they had on the menu was corned beef hash with poached eggs with hollandaise.

We figured it'd be corned beef hash out of a can, but it still sounded good.

It was actually nice chunks of corned beef and potato, and it was WONDERFUL.

So, since then, I've tried to morph our "Weekend Before St. Pat's With The Mother In Law's Corned Beef" to this recipe.

As my nephews get older, there are less leftovers to go around.

So, this morning I threw some corned beef into the crock pot... and when I came home I had this waiting for me...



I cut that into about 1 inch chunks and set it aside. A little shredding is fine... it is corned beef, after all.

I also started to cook some cabbage and onions, using some of the reserved cooking liquid from the corned beef (or, as my nephew calls it, "meat juice")...



Threw some potatoes in the oven to roast....



And made my favorite quick, lower-calorie hollandaise.



Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Don't let it brown. Mix two egg yolks with 1 cup of cold water and 1 tablespoon flour, and add to the melted butter. Add a heaping teaspoon of dijon. Stir it over medium heat, you don't need to be as fussy as with regular hollandaise, until it comes to a boil. Add lemon, salt and hot sauce to taste.

A yummy dinner of some killer corned beef hash, poached eggs, hollandaise, cabbage and toast....



Talk about a dinner that makes all 30 minutes of torture on the elliptical worth it.

No comments: