Monday, March 23, 2009

Today is International Odd Shaped Pancake Day

(Ok... not really, but thinking that makes me feel a little better about the odd pancake shapes I produced in the kitchen today)



I mean, c'mon.... how hard is it to get a friggin' round pancake? It was not a shining night in the kitchen for me.



Round #2 was looking a little bit better until my mad flipping skillz.....



At least by the last three, I was able to get some somewhat-pancake-looking-like-pancakes.



In addition to pancakes, we had eggs and bacon for dinner.

And cooking a pound of bacon mean leftover bacon fat.

And leftover bacon fat means - Spinach Salad With Bacon Dressing time!

Since I totally was not planning on making this for lunches this week, I didn't buy any red onion. But I have a lot of shallots, so I decided to start by chopping up a salad and adding that to the dressing.



Red wine vinegar...



Add the sugar...



Some dijon mustard....



Three lovely tablespoons of bacon fat....



Some pepper....



Put the lid on....



And shake shake shake until you get a nice, combined dressing.




I still have to cut up mushrooms to go along with my salad, and I already have some hard-boiled eggs, so it'll just be a matter of throwing everything in my lunch bag tomorrow and assembly at lunch.

It'll be nice to have a day where I can look forward to lunch. Actually been busy at work, and I've been looking at so many technical drawings lately (or rather, trying to make technical drawings look more like the real thing so you can actually tell what you're looking at) that I was actually in the washroom today, looking at the stall door, and thinking about how it would look as a technical drawing with the types of hinges and types of screws....

Yeah. I need a vacation.

Happily, we leave for Vegas next Thursday, so it's not too far off. Even if I am slightly panicked right now because I'm not 90% packed like I usually am at this point before a trip. Might try to make a dent in that before the night is done.

No comments: