Monday, May 4, 2009

An actual successful meal

Damn you, Martha, for proving what a genius you can be sometimes.

Over the weekend, saw an Everyday Food recipe where they did a Mustard-Crusted Turkey Breast. Looked easy. Looked tasty. I was positive I'd mess this one up somehow.

One turkey breast, slathered with dijon mustard, because it is what I have the most of....



I had to go with a bone-in breast, since it was all I could find.

Based on reviews on the website and my own suspicions, I should have kept the veggies off the tray until the halfway mark. I didn't. I started with the carrots on the tray, and I don't know what kind of mutant Godzilla carrots that Martha grows, but mine were done at the halfway mark. I took them off, and added the broccoli.



Baked potatoes were the side. I was trying to capture the really neat steam that was coming out of one of the holes, but I missed. So, um, yeah. Potato. Exciting, huh?

The done turkey breast and broccoli, before I added the carrots back to warm through....




And the post-dinner carnage...




I was more than surprised when the hubsy took a bite of turkey and went "Wow! This is really good!" and I was suddenly bombarded with questions about if I brined it or what spices or what I used.... (seriously? He really is listening sometimes when I go on about that stuff???). Just mustard slathered on a turkey breast. Who knew?

The hubby also really like the broccoli, as crispy and close to burned as it was.

Well, score one for Martha.

4 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Mustard is a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

Just tried the banana peanut butter chocolate chip bread - sure smells delish!

Marilyn said...

Live and learn: trust your instincts when cooking. That looked divine and I'm almost certain that I could actually smell the mustard-glazed turkey breast.

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds delicious. I never tried a turkey with a mustard coating. First time here to your blog.. nice to meet you.