Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I love the smells from a convection oven on am 80 degree day......

If you're ever in the market to get a new stove, and convection is an option, GO FOR IT.

Best decision I made when we replaced the appliances when we moved here.

In our old apartment, on what was a nice, mid-80s degree day outside, our third-floor shithole apartment would seem like a lovely piece of real estate that was sun-adjacent. And the air didn't help a thing.

On a day like today was, I'd have to figure out how the heck to make dinner and not heat up the kitchen too much, to undo what little good air conditioners and fans did.

God, I hated it.

Now... in our beautiful townhome with the central air (No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater, than central air) it's not so bad.

And... with the convection oven, I can actually cook *two* things in the oven! Yes, that makes me very very happy these days!

Tonight was BLTs with a new favorite of mine, Parmesan Oven Fries (from Everyday Food.... slightly modified by me to use less cheese). Bacon on one sheet pan, oven fries on the other. Stuck both in the middle racks in the oven, and cooked away.

Oh yeah... oven bacon. If you've never tried it, DO. It's the greatest way ever to cook bacon. And I don't even do it on a rack anymore... I find you actually get some nice color when you just throw it on the sheet pan.

But.... dinner was made (lost three of my farmer's market tomatoes. I spend a LOT of time looking over the produce so I don't get bruised ones, and then the farmer's market dudes just throw them in a bag and abuse them. Grrrrr.) Living space was not heated up. The Man (aka Hubby) was happy, unlike last night. Hope he enjoyed it.... since it looks like pork chops tomorrow. I'm thinking the Pork Chops with Zesty Sauce (minus the olives - another no-no for the Man) from Jacques Pepin's "Fast Food My Way". I don't use that cookbook nearly enough.

No comments: