Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I found it! I found it!!!

SIGH.

Found the old photocopies of the recipes (tart shell and filling) for my pecan pie.

It was a collision between my home life and my work life.

At work, I tend to keep my areas pretty neat. I have a hard time doing my job in chaos. In the past two years, I've been working on anywhere between 2 and 6 products at the same time. Which means you have to have that many pieces of equipment around the desk in multiple computers. I have to keep papers and all the junk organized, or, to put it in kitchen talk, I'm in the weeds/shit. Damn fast. I've also got to keep things I'm not currently working on neatly, since you never know when you'll have to pull something out quickly to test it or verify something.

I wish I was like this in my home life. I'm trying to get better and actually making some improvements. But my home life really does vary between living somewhere between mild to moderate disarray. Usually I'm fine with that.

So, last night I tore apart my cookbook shelves and every place I thought the sheets might possibly be hiding. They had to be SOMEWHERE. And I could hear them, calling from the bookshelves. They were there somewhere.

Tonight, standing and looking at the shelves with a sense of hopelessness, I notice a pile of some work products that I had purchased but never used. All thrown in to an unvisable corner of our bookshelf that is blocked by a chair, so I don't have to look at it. Total disorganization. But since all this stuff is still in boxes, I really don't have a pressing need for it, obviously.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a pile of some various stuff under one of the boxes. Of course, on the bottom of that pile, under other unrelated papers and piles of pictures, I found my photocopies. Complete with my moms notes and my notes (I usually do a 1 1/2 version of the crust and I've adapted it). WHEW.

Of course, I really shouldn't be that surprised. I panicked earlier today and shelled out some money for a 1979, 12th Edition Fannie Farmer cookbook (the directions are ten kindsa different in the newest edition, which I didn't know until I bought it last year. That copy went to my mother in law).

No comments: